Welcome to the Yorkshire Schools Exploring Society
- Why not change your life forever?
- Visit places you never knew existed . . .
- Do things you’ve only ever dreamed of . . .
- See breathtaking scenery, wildlife, history . . .
- Climb mountains, ride horses, cross rivers . . .
- Experience life as you never thought you could.
If you’re on the look out for some excitement, a challenge, a break from the old routine and a chance to see the world and experience new things, then take a look at the expeditions we offer. You’ll be amazed.
Yorkshire Schools Exploring Society is a reputable, responsible charitable trust, which has been giving young adults the opportunity for personal growth and development through exploration since 1964.
All we ask is that you live in Yorkshire, go to school or college in the county, and you’re able to raise the funds (with our support and ideas).
Oh, and that you’re ready for the time of your life . . .
- Event: 50th Anniversay Dinner Update
- Expeditions: Iceland 2015
- Uncategorized: YSES on Facebook
- General: Are you a potential Expedition Leader?
The Yorkshire Schools Exploring Society exists for these reasons:
- To promote the personal development of young people through adventurous activities in wilderness areas.
- To encourage young people to work together by participating in expeditions in the United Kingdom and overseas.
- To increase environmental awareness.
- To improve understanding of different cultures.
- To demonstrate the benefits of physical exercise on mental and physical health.
Expeditions are open to young people in full time education in the Yorkshire region, including Humberside and parts of Cleveland.
Applications are invited from young people of either gender, from any racial or cultural background, who are either able-bodied or disabled. Prior to application, the young person (and their parents) must be confident that they can safely embark upon training for the proposed activity, and that they will be able to raise the necessary funds for the expedition.
The society recognises that its expeditions operate in hostile environments, in terms of both geographical location and activity. Members of YSES expeditions have visited some of the remotest parts of the world, and undertaken activities such as mountaineering and white water rafting which carry certain risks. Expeditioning is an “assumed risk” activity, that is participants are aware of, and accept the risks before departure. Whilst leaders will do their best, whatever the circumstances, to promote safety, the absence of risk cannot be guaranteed.
The society recognises and values diversity. For this reason, each expedition is different and will depend on the character and attributes of its leaders and members. The society’s committee will satisfy itself as to the competence and safety of leaders but does not aim to be prescriptive in the running of individual expeditions. Leaders, with the exception of safety issues, will seek to develop rather than to dictate, and expeditioners will be selected on the basis of the qualities that they can bring to the expedition.
Yorkshire Schools Exploring Society
- Registered Charity Number 1043260
- President, Don Robinson
- Patron, Chris Bonnington
- Honorary Member, Dr William Turner
- Honorary Member, Ted Grey
- Honorary Member, J O’Brien